LOPE is a nonprofit organization devoted to preparing at-risk horses for new careers, while inspiring young people through horsemanship education. We have launched a new videography internship for graphic design/video students who aspire to become professionals in the creative industry.
Description and Duties
- 15-20 hours per week (includes weekend duties)*
- 4-6 weeks duration*
- Assessment, handling and training sessions with LOPE horses
- Veterinarian examinations of horses
- Rehabilitation procedures for LOPE horses in rehab care
- Interviews with LOPE staff, adopters of the horses, trainers, veterinarians and so on
- Action sequences of LOPE horses at local horse events, in their new homes and so on
- Footage of horsemanship lessons and demonstrations
Set up, film and assist in the editing of the following subjects:
- Must be age 18 or older
- Experience in videography and editing
- Understanding of how to film diverse footage (ranging from action sequences to interviews)
- Ability to assess lighting conditions and sound recording options
- Some interest in horses helpful
- Good work ethic
- Ability to work independently
- Energetic, optimistic , reliable and professional
Top consideration will be given to candidates in collegiate graphic design/film/fine art programs.
Internship includes pay of $10-$15/hour (depending on skills and experience level). Position includes possible opportunity to be hired for ongoing project contract with LOPE.
How to Apply
To be considered, please gather and email to hello [at] lopetx.org:
- A short video (as link or file under 15MB) that demonstrates your filming and editing skills.
The deadline to apply is May 15, 2018.
LOPE helps at-risk racehorses find second careers, while inspiring young people through horsemanship education. We are inspired by the classical horsemanship philosophy practiced by Tom Dorrance, Ray Hunt and all who follow in their footsteps. Learn more about our values.
LOPE’s education work includes our ongoing teenage internship program for aspiring young horse professionals as well as our First Step Program for at-risk youth. Students and interns have the opportunity to work with ex-racehorses who have retired after unusually long and successful track careers. Known as Racing Warriors (or “warhorses”), these former track athletes provide exceptional learning opportunities for interns interested in restarting horses under saddle, sports injury rehabilitation techniques and foundation horsemanship in general.
Since 2003, LOPE has helped over 1500 ex-racehorses transition into new careers after the track. We are accredited by the prestigious Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance (Lexington, KY) and our work has been featured in national media outlets (New York Times, The Today Show, Oprah Magazine, Cowboys and Indians, to name a few).
The LOPE facility is in Driftwood, TX (a small town in the Texas Hill Country). Our location is convenient to downtown Austin, TX (35 minutes), as well as other popular Texas destinations (San Antonio, Fredericksburg, San Marcos, Marble Falls).
* We are open to adjusting the number of weeks/hours to accommodate an ideal candidate’s schedule needs.